My Daughter Was Choking . . .
February 26, 2014
Posted By: Shaunescy
This weekend my daughter choked on a hard candy. It was terrifying.
She and her brother were dropping homemade parachutes over the balcony and hopping down the stairs to retrieve them. Laughing, playing, and the next thing I knew my 5 year old ran to me with panic in her eyes and no breath going in or out. The candy that I said she could have was choking her.
I had taken First Aid and CPR a long time ago and it instantly came into my head. And although she is much bigger than an infant, I swooped her little 33 pound self up and over and gave her back blows. While my son watched and my hubby called 9-11.
We live in the country and I had a moment where I felt like I wasn't going to be able to fix this. And if I couldn't, I didn't know that I could get to an ER in time either. Before any emergency personnel arrived (and they got here fast!) I did get it dislodged from her windpipe. She is fine. She recovered from the whole incident much faster than I did. My adrenaline finally let off about 24 hours later -- and then I was a zombie.
I keep thinking about how thankful I am to have been trained in First Aid and CPR. I am so very thankful that it was just in there and available when it counted most. I am going to take a refresher course soon.
Many resources in our community provide this education. Classes are often free or offered at a low cost.
Gallatin Heart Rescue--
What began two years ago as a local effort to help heart attack victims survive while waiting for medical attention has grown into a state-wide program in which 12,000 individuals have been taught to perform the life-saving technique of Hands Only CPR. They offer a couple of classes each week.
FREE Hands Only CPR classe s - http://www.gallatinheartrescue.com/find-class
Bozeman Deaconess Hospital--
Super Sitter Class
Saturday, March 22, 2014
9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Bozeman Deaconess Hospital
915 Highland Boulevard
Bozeman, MT 59715
For Information and to Register call 406-587-7786
Bozeman Deaconess and Child Care Connections have teamed up to teach youth the fundamentals of babysitting. This course is open to youth 11 years or older, and covers infant & child choking response, basic first aid information, babysitting basics, infant care, guidance and child development. The cost for the class is $35.00, and includes lunch, snack, and materials. Requires registration.
All my best, BunnyFufu ~ The Housewife