Happy St. Patrick’s Day - Facts and fun game links for kids
March 17, 2013
Posted By: Shaunescy
Facts about the Irish - from Kaboose.com
- 34 million Americans have Irish ancestry, according to the 2003 US Census. That’s almost nine times the population of Ireland, which has 4.1 million people.
- Some American towns have “Irish” names. You could visit: Mount Gay-Shamrock, West Virginia; Shamrock Lakes, Indiana; Shamrock, Oklahoma; Shamrock, Texas; Dublin, California and Dublin, Ohio.?
- The harp is the symbol of Ireland. The color green is also commonly associated with Ireland, also known as “the Emerald Isle.”
- The Irish flag is green, white and orange. The green symbolizes the people of the south, and orange, the people of the north. White represents the peace that brings them together as a nation.
- The name “lephrechaun” has several origins. It could be from the Irish Gaelic word “leipreachan,” which means “a kind of aqueous sprite.” Or, it could be from “leath bhrogan,” which means “shoemaker.”
For kid focused computer games about St. Patrick's Day click here.
Or click here for Starfall Games - which have a whole year's worth of holidays, phonics and math activities. My kids LOVE this site!
All my best, Bunnyfufu